About the Blog!
This blog is a celebration of one of my favorite toylines, Garbage Pail Kids: Cheap Toys with Crummy Candy. More specifically, it is a celebration of my favorite aspect of this toyline: The rubbery figures! There are three main things that have drawn me to rubbery Cheap Toys figures:
The Plastic
The consistency of the plastic is like no other mini-figure toyline of which I'm aware. It's firm yet flexible, and it has a nice weight to it that imparts a quality that other figures simply do not share. Some of the figures have the look and feel of Swedish Fish; More then once I've been tempted to pop one in my mouth and eat it, haha!
Edible
Non-Edible
The Colors
The colors of rubbery Cheap Toys are quite attractive. Half of them are quasi-translucent which makes them very dynamic, dazzling, and delicious! As a connoisseur of mono-colored mini-figures I've had a lot of different mini-figures pass through my hands, and I must say that the Neon Red (or Neon Red-Orange) color of Cheap Toys is hands down the most eye-catching and gorgeous factory-produced mini-figure color that I've ever seen. It's a color that is nearly impossible to capture with a camera and must be seen with the naked to eye to be fully appreciated.
The Availability
Collecting rubbery Cheap Toys is a challenge. But unlike other exotic mono-colored mini-figures, it's a doable challenge. And if gone about in the right way, it can be lots of rewarding fun. In fact, collecting and completing my various rubbery figure sets has been perhaps the most rewarding aspect of my toy-collecting hobby so far, with the process of documenting them here being included in that, of course!
The other reason I felt compelled to create this blog was to continue what I began several years ago. I created a Cheap Toys archive which was a lot of fun; To my delight, many Cheap Toys collectors came to appreciate and reference the site as well. However, I was never completely satisfied with the layout of the site and the archive pictures in particular. The backgrounds were not clean, and the picture quality was very poor.
I'm much happier with the new, mini-archive of rubbery figures! My goal for the rubbery archive was not to capture the detail of the sculpts; Indeed, that's the purpose of the "Sculpts" section of the blog. Nor was my goal to capture the exact color of the figures. My goal was simply to capture the beauty of the figures and the dynamism of the colors. I may or may not have succeeded.
You'll also note that the Neon Yellow color is missing. This is only because I do not currently own any Neon Yellow.
Finally, you'll note a new naming convention. I'm a minimalist at heart, and though I love the creativity of the old school names, I like the uniformity and simplicity of the prefix "rubbery." However, I did place the old names at the bottom of the archive. :)
I eventually took the old site down, and in the meantime another excellent Website dedicated to Garbage Pail Kids came to the rescue! Nico of GEEPEEKAY.com put together an amazing Cheap Toys section on his site, as well as an amazingly well done archive!
My blog and its rubbery archive is in no way intended to supplant the excellent work that Nico has done. In fact, you'll note that there is very little information on this blog, haha. As I say, it's main purpose is not as a Cheap Toys resource per se, but simply a celebration of them!
Another great Cheap Toys reference is the Cheap Toys section of the Garbage Pail Kids Underground. Definitely check that out if you are at all interested in collecting Cheap Toys.
Finally, I've covered Cheap Toys at my mono-colored mini-fig blog, Toypedia. If you like Cheap Toys, you'll probably like several other of the toylines documented on Toypedia.
Well, I hope you enjoy! Check back some time in the future, and perhaps there will be some rubbery Neon Yellows featured as well!
Sincerely,
Dr. Soupie






